Monday, April 18, 2011

Loss of a game…and a loss of a broadcast connection! (posted May 21, 2010)

If anyone tried tuning in to the webcast over the internet tonight and couldn’t get anything, then I want to sincerely apologize for not being able to get on tonight.

The worst feeling in the world is when you try feverishly to do everything to get the ball rolling and unfortunately, when certain things are beyond your control, there is not much you can do about it.

For whatever reason, the primary server could not get connected and I worked all night to try to salvage everything that I possibly could to get the coverage of the game going. In my nearly thirty years of broadcasting, I’ve never had a problem like the one I had tonight when there was an event going on that I was supposed to cover–and couldn’t do it. It’s a helpless and frustrating feeling.

I contacted as many people as I could to help, but nothing worked out. Anyway, going to the game between the Nashville Sounds & the Fresno Grizzlies tonight, it was not a good start for the Sounds on their road trip, either. Fresno beat the Sounds, 6-2 before a crowd of 7,630 at Chukchansi Park.

Since I feel responsible for what happened tonight, I owe everyone a report of the game as much as possible. Fresno did not waste any time against Sounds Starter and losing pitcher Chuck Lofgren in the first inning. Second Baseman Brock Bond led off with a double in the inning. After Tyler Graham grounded out slowly to third to advance Bond to third base, Catcher Buster Posey drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly to center to score Bond from third to make it 1-0, Fresno. Third Baseman Jesus Guzman homered over the left field wall to give the Grizzlies a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning.

The Grizzlies built up their lead in the sixth inning when Chuck Lofgren got knocked out when he gave up an additional four runs in that inning. Bond singled to lead off the inning and advanced to third on a double by Tyler Graham. Buster Posey singled to drive Bond in to make it 3-0 Fresno. Graham advanced to third on the base hit and eventually scored on a sacrifice fly to center by Joe Borchard. Brett Pill then unloaded with a three run homer to give the Grizzlies a 3-0 lead and that’s all the runs that Grizzlies’ starter Joe Martinez would need.

Martinez pitched very well in his 7.2 innings of work as he allowed just two runs on five hits while walking three and fanning two.

The Sounds would get to Martinez in the eighth inning when Left Fielder Drew Anderson led off with a walk and scored when Ray Olmedo doubled to right and he would score on an RBI single by Trent Oeltjen. It would cut Fresno’s lead to 6-2, but that’s all that Nashville could muster for the night.

The Grizzlies have someone in their office who is a computer whiz and I will try to see how the primary server can get connected for the broadcast tomorrow night. I am determined that I won’t lose sleep over this, but I was disappointed and upset that I couldn’t deliver the game to you because of these circumstances that were beyond my control. Please accept my apologies for this unfortunate event.

Hopefully, the Sounds will rebound from tonight’s loss and I know they are capable of doing so.

One thing for myself and the Sounds that we know: the sun will come out tomorrow and another day will come and I will make every attempt to get the webcast running again. Tomorrow’s game is at 9:05PM Central Time (don’t forget that there is a two hour difference between Fresno time and Nashville time). Hope you still had a nice evening, but have a better day tomorrow. I will definitely intend to do so!

No comments: